Massage Therapy Information
Massage Therapy is one of the most popular complementary healthcare techniques. It has proven especially effective in treating neck and back pain, increasing circulation to the extremities, and improving overall feelings of good health. Therapeutic massage is extraordinarily effective at reducing stress, lowering blood pressure and relaxing tight or sore muscles.
History of Massage
With all the notice massage therapy has received within the last decade, one would think that it is a new form of healing therapy - au contraire! Massage is an instinctive means of relieving pain and discomfort, and was probably one of the first types of medicinal treatments used by humans. [learn more]
Choosing a Therapist
New York State requires that all Massage Therapists be licensed and registered. You may ask your potential therapist for his or her license number or you can check the status of the therapist's license online at: [learn more]
What to know before your Massage
Many clients are nervous when arriving for their first massage appointment. Here are some suggestions as to what you may expect during your first treatment. [learn more]
Different types of Massage and Bodywork
Swedish Massage, Acupressure, Polarity Therapy and more.
Massage Therapy FAQ's
What is Therapeutic Massage?
Therapeutic massage is the skillful manipulation of soft tissue structures of the body to achieve the goal of relieving pain and discomfort, muscle spasms, relieve stress, and to promote general health and well-being.
What are the benefits of Massage?
Massage therapy has a wide variety of benefits, on both the body and the mind.
- Relieve stress and tension
- Relieve joint stiffness and muscular pain
- Reduce muscle spasm
- Reduce swelling and excess scar tissue
- Promote greater flexibility of the joints
- Enhance athletic performance
- Promote deeper breathing
- Reduce blood pressure
- Improve posture
- Strengthen the immune system
- Enhance calm thinking and creativity
- Increase awareness of the mind-body connection
- Promote a sense of "well-being"
What conditions can Massage Therapy help?
Therapeutic massage benefits a wide variety of conditions, including:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Circulatory problems
- Digestive upset, including constipation and diarrhea
- Headache, especially due to muscle spasm
- Reduced range of motion of the joints
- Sports injuries, strains and sprains
Can Massage Therapy cause harm?
- Massage may be inappropriate in cases of:
- Infectious disease
- Some skin conditions
- Some forms of Cancer
- Cardiac problems
It is advised that you check with your doctor before seeking massage if you suffer from any of these conditions.